Poppies run out 3-0 winners at Romulus in FA Cup 1st Q Round

Sep 3rd, 2017

Kettering TownRomulus

Romulus 0

Kettering Town 3
Hoenes 5pen, 61
O’Connor 48

Normally the FA Cup comes as a welcome distraction from the league matches but with the flying start that Kettering Town have made in the league let’s hope the 1st Qualifying round fixture at Romulus does disrupt the flow. With Kettering looking to exact a measure of revenge for their hosts knocking them out last time round it should be an entertaining affair at least.

Goal!GOAL: Kettering get off to a great start when Rhys Hoenes is upended in the penalty area. The referee points immediately to the spot and the Poppies player picks himself, up and promptly dispatches the ball past the home keeper and into the net. With just 5 minutes gone, Poppies are 1-0 up.

The home side recover quickly from their setback and pressure the Poppies as Aaron O’Connor goes into the referee’s note book. Plenty of half-chances at either end in a busy first-half but Kettering still leading by that early penalty as they head into the half-time break.

Half-time:   Romulus 0   Kettering Town 1

Goal!GOAL: The second-half is barely minutes old when Aaron O’Connor doubles Kettering’s lead. the home side’s frustration is clearly visible as two players are shown the yellow card, Keirnan Harrison swiftly followed by Todd Evans.

Goal!GOAL: It was a toe to toe first 45 minutes but now Kettering have a two-goal cushion with which to forge on and kil off their opponents. The match getting a little scrappy but it sparks back to life, at least for the Poppies when a through ball from Howe sets up Rhys Hoenes who slots home his second of the day to give Kettering a 3-0 lead on 61 minutes.

A flurry of substitutions on both side heading into the final twenty minutes or so but the Poppies are firmly in command having broken the spirits of the home side with that killer third goal. there’s just enough time for Romulus’ Jordan Francis to incur the referee’s wrath with a yellow card before the final whistle ends their misery.

It was a tough battle in the first-half but Kettering stood strong after taking the lead early on. The second-half they began to take control and as the goals went in the home side were eventually subdued and the Poppies run out deserved winners and into the next round of the FA Cup. The three goals takes their tally to 873 in this competition.


Kettering Town: