Poppies held to goal-less stalemate away to Biggleswade Town

Oct 10th, 2017

Kettering TownBiggleswade Town

BiggleswadeTown 0

Kettering Town 0

A solid win for Kettering Town on Saturday sets them up nicely for tonight’s away trip to Biggleswade Town where the Poppies have had tough encounters in past seasons. With the Poppies riding high at the top of the table this will be another test of their credentials as title contenders against a team in 9th spot that narrowly lost to 2nd placed Slough on Saturday.

The match is underway and O’Connor has a header scrambled clear and at the other end Wright saves a long range effort as both teams settle quickly into this one but the pace is a little frantic and lacking in quality control at the moment. half chances at both ends as Richens gets a yellow card it’s a bit of a mixed opening twenty minutes or so for Kettering.

O’Connor is bundled over in the area and the referee points to the spot. After the referee shows the offender the yellow card up steps Hoenes but his low driven effort is saved by the keeper. It’s still scoreless. Will Kettering come to regret that golden opportunity to take the lead from a spot kick I wonder. They almost regret it immediately but a ‘goal’ for offside to the relief of Hoenes for sure.

O’Connor has a half-volley saved and shortly afterwards is shown the yellow card for simulation. Stevens heads over a Toseland cross as Kettering start to pile on the pressure heading into the half-time break. Kettering win a corner but it ‘s easily cleared by the home defence.

Half-time:   Biggleswade Town 0   Kettering Town 0

Kettering pick up where they left off and a foul on Aaron O’Connor results in a booking for the Waders defender. Poppies make a switch as Meikle is replaced by Brighton. A free-kick for Kettering but it’s turned away by the Waders keeper. Another Poppies corner as Brighton heads just wide piles on the pressure looking for their opener.

Howe comes on to replace O’Connor for Poppies with an 70 minutes gone. The home side seem content to hold onto their point and it’s up to Kettering to provide the spark of quality to unlock their defence if they want to go for the win with 15 minutes remaining. Stevens does well in the area and it looks like it was handled by the defender but this time the referee waves play on.

into the final ten minutes and Kettering are leaving it late if they are to come away with all the points. Waders content to sit back and hold on for a draw at this point. A late tackle by Berry quite rightly earns the Poppies defender a yellow card. Not much more than five minutes of normal time remaining, it’s now or never for a Poppies winner.

Time running out and it looks like Biggleswade will be the first team to keep a clean sheet against the Poppies this season as another yellow card is shown for a clinical foul by Biggleswade defender. Stohrer has a last ditch chance but his shot is weak and the keeper saves easily. Another effort from Kettering but this time a soft header from Stevens doesn’t trouble the keeper much as the match heads into four minutes of stoppage time.

Deep into time added on, a corner for Poppies, but’s it’s headed just wide of the target. That’s about the story of the night for Poppies, almost. Kettering’s best chance came from the penalty spot and it turned out to be a costly miss by Hoenes as the final whistle sounds on a 0-0 draw. Kettering earn a point to retain the top spot but the overall result was disappointing for the traveling faithful.


Kettering Town: Wright, Berry, Toseland, Willock, Solkhon, Richens, Hoenes, O’Connor, Stevens, Stohrer, Meikle. Subs: Brighton, Mulligan, Howe, Sundire, White.

Biggleswade Town: