Poppies regain lead, win 3-2 away to Bashford Utd in FA Cup 3rd Q Round

Sep 30th, 2017

Kettering TownBashford Utd

Bashford Utd 2
Fenton 43
Thornhill 55

Kettering Town 3
Hoenes 15
O’Connor 18, 88

It’s another sojourn into the FA Cup this afternoon for table-toppers Kettering Town as they visit Northern Premier League Division One South outfit Bashford Utd and will be without the services of regular goalkeeper Paul White as he starts his three-match suspension. White is replaced in the starting line up by Forest loanee Jordan Wright.

Goal!GOAL: Both teams settle down quickly at Greenwich Avenue for this cup tie and it’s Kettering who are pressing in the early stages. After coming close twice the Poppies take the lead on 15 minutes when Rhys Hoenes rounds the goalkeeper and slots it into the net. 1-0 to Kettering and another added to their all-time FA Cup goals tally.

Goal!GOAL: No sooner had the Poppies traveling faithful settled back down than Kettering took a 2-0 lead when a long ball aimed for Hoenes was picked up by Aaron O’Connor who smashed it into the net as he has done on many occasions for the Poppies. With just 18 minutes gone, Kettering are 2-0 up and looking dangerous going forward every time.

Goal!GOAL: The home side having a lot more possession heading towards the break and the game getting scrappy with Hoenes and then Wilson both getting yellow cards. A goal into the Poppies area from Wells is headed into the net by Kieran Fenton and they’ve reduced the deficit to 2-1 on 43 minutes. The half-time whistle sounds on a busy first-half with the tie still in the balance.

Half-time:   Bashford Utd 1   Kettering Town 2

Goal!GOAL: The second-half gets underway at Greenwich Avenue with Brett Solkhon replaced by Liam Bateman for Poppies. Half-chances for both teams before Bashford pull level. A scramble in the Poppies area is eventually smashed home by Thornhill and it’s 2-2. Kettering lead 2-0, but are pegged back level again.

The home side have their tails up now and Kettering will have to knuckle down and weather the storm for a while. A foul by Bashford’s Reid draws a yellow card. Kettering having to dig their heels in and looking more composed again as O’Connor fires just wide of the target and then Deeney makes a good save in the home goal from the same player. The Poppies are pressing to regain the lead after a shaky period and plenty of home possession.

The game ebb and flows and flow, first Poppies and then Bashford having good spells on the ball. Rene Howe is booked for a foul on 76 minutes. Milnes effort is straight down the middle and blocked by the Bashford keeper but good work from Kettering. Play switches to the other end as Bashford have back-to-back corners but can’t make them count. Storher and Stevens come on to replace Milnes and Howe on 86 minutes.

Goal!GOAL: This game has gone back and forth and could go either way in the remaining five minutes or so. Indeed it does as Aaron O’Connor again latches on to a loose ball in the area and smashes it into the net. With 88 minutes gone, Kettering have retaken the lead, 3-2 in front.

Kettering just need to weather the inevitable onslaught from the home side in stoppage time to gain another victory and make it through to the next round of the FA Cup. Debut loanee goalkeeper Jordan Wright makes another good save as Bashford press in the dying seconds. Kettering hit back on the counter as Hoenes forces Deeney into a good save. That’s it, final whistle and after a scare, Kettering squeeze through to the 4Q round, 3-2 winners.

Att: 525

Kettering Town: Wright, Berry, Toseland, Solkhon, Mulligan, Richens, Hoenes, O’Connor, Howe, Milnes, Meikle. Subs: Baker, Bateman, Maagbe, Stevens, Stohrer, Sundire, Greatox.

Bashford Utd: Deeney, Grayson, Bartle, Wilson, Fenton, Roma, Thornhill, Meikle, Wells, Hearn, Reid. Subs: Grantham, Darkin, Wakefield, Graham, Brown, Tebreham, Cameron.