Second-half Poppies 3-1 winners at home to ten-man Cirencester Town

Apr 1st, 2017

Cirencester TownKettering Town

Kettering Town 3
Hicks 38
A O’Connor 85
Hall 91pen

Cirencester Town 1
Morgan 9
Dunton Sent-off 64

Following a successful trip last Saturday, Kettering Town return to Latimer Park to host another struggling outfit in Cinderford Town. Kettering took a while to get going last Saturday and will need to eb quicker out of the blocks today to record a victory and keep their top ten position going into the final matches of what has been a fairly disappointing campaign.

Goal!GOAL: The match gets underway at Latimer Park and its a cautious start from both teams under the afternoon sunshine. A long range free-kick for the visitors is taken by Kerry Morgan and he surprises Paul White in the Poppies goal and Cirencester take an early lead. Almost the first touch for keeper White is to pick the ball out of the net.

Goal!GOAL: Kettering settle down after falling behind and Aaron O’Connor has a couple of chances, the second of which he gets the ball into the net but it’s ruled out for handball. O’Connor brought down and the referee points to the spot. O’Connor takes the kick, it’s saved but Nathan Hicks is quickest to react and slot the ball home, it’s 1-1.

Canavan tries his luck but its wide of the target with a free-kick. Kettering struggling for the first 45 minutes but the home support are hoping they produce their usual second-half uplift and take this game by the scruff of the neck. Alan Griffin is shown the yellow card for the visitors and the action brings the first-half to a close.

Half-time:   Kettering Town 1   Cirencester Town 1

The second-half gets underway and the home fans looking for a big improvement in their team’s tempo and quality final ball after another slow starting lacklustre first 45 minutes. Not much happening for the Poppies in the early stages of the second period and the game needs a spark of life at this point.

A spark comes along but from an unexpected area as Ellis Dunton is shown a yellow followed by a red card and Cirencester are down to ten men for the final 25 minutes or so of this match. Can Kettering take advantage of their extra man or will they be frustrated again as they have been so many times playing teams with a man short. Ben Baker replaces Jorrin Jon for Kettering.

Goal!GOAL: Goalscorer Kerry Morgan is replaced by Kieren Diaz Benitez for the visitors with 65 minutes gone. Kettering start to pile the pressure on the visitors goal now as they make the ten-man opposition work hard to defend. Aaron O’Connor latches onto a through ball and fires past the keeper into the net to give Kettering the lead.

Goal!GOAL: The visitors are struggling now to cope and are a man-down and a goal down with five minutes of normal time to go. Liam Canavan surges into the penalty area nd is brought down. The referee again has no hesitation and points to the spot. This time its James Hall who takes the penalty and fires well past the keeper and into the net. The points are safe for Poppies now as they lead 3-1 in stoppage time.

There goes the final whistle and again it needed a second-half improvement from the home side, boosted by two penalties and the visitors going down to ten men. Aaron O’Connor could’ve easily had a hat-trick today but he still came up trumps against the visitors defence. It’s onto next Saturday for the Poppies now as they host high-flyers Slough Town.

Att: 507

Kettering Town:

Cirencester Town: