Poppies pegged back, 3-3 away to Frome Town

Mar 17th, 2017

Kettering TownFrome Town

Frome Town 3
Fitzgibbon 1, 30
Knight 68

Kettering Town 3
A.O’Connor 19
Brighton 36
Hall 56

Another lacklustre performance from Kettering Town last Saturday saw them narrowly avoid a fourth defeat in-a-row and this Saturday they travel to Frome Town who have climbed four points above them and also have a game in hand. With just one point from their last four matches the Poppies outside chances of a play-off place evaporated and the remaining games will likely determine who has a chance of still being in the squad come the start of next season’s campaign. The club owner Ritchie Jeune has given his backing to manager Marcus Law to still be in charge for next season.

Goal!GOAL: The match gets underway and Frome Town kick off, they move the ball forward and it’s in the back of the net. Simple as that, less than 30 seconds gone and Kettering are already a goal down. The ball was played into James Fitzgibbon and he beats Paul White to give the home side a very early lead.

Goal!GOAL: Paul Cooke informs us that was the second quickest goal scored against the Poppies since 1979. A quick memory recall tells me that Colin Copperwaite who scored for Barrow after 3.5 seconds was the fastest. After a bumpy start Kettering have settled down and are making inroads. A cross from James Hall comes into the area, its met by the head of Aaron O’Connor and he beats the keeper. Kettering are back level at 1-1 on 19 minutes.

Goal!GOAL: Canavan tries a long range free-kick but it’s blocked by the wall. Kettering are on top now as Rene Howe flashes a shot across the goal that’s deflected for a corner, cleared by the home defence. A scramble in the Poppies area but they finally manage to clear the danger as Howe concedes a free-kick. It’s played into the area and a free header for James Fitzgibbon who scores his second to regain the lead for Frome.

Goal!GOAL: The home side in the ascendancy now as they fizzle a shot into the side netting. Play switches to the other end as Kettering finally manage to clear their lines. The ball in played in by James Hall and James Brighton makes a solid connection to hammer the ball past the bewildered Phillips and into the net. Thirty-six minutes gone and Kettering are level again at 2-2.

Half-time:   Frome Town 2   Kettering Town 2

Goal!GOAL: The second-half gets underway with the home side in red and white and Kettering wearing blue and white stripes playing up the slope this half. Well would you believe it, after going behind in a matter of seconds, Kettering turn the tables as James Hall smashes the ball into the net to make it 3-2 on 56 minutes.

Goal!GOAL: That should’ve been four for Kettering but Aaron O’Connor is denied as the Poppies having a good spell at the start of the second-half. Just as you think it’s going one way it switches to another. Ollie Knight turns and hammers a cracking shot from long range past the despairing White and into the net. It’s 3-3 and apparently neither team putting much faith in their defences today.

Into the final twenty minutes and the match switching back and forth at speed with both sides looking to win this win. A good chance for Poppies but a snatched shot is blasted over the crossbar from James Hall. Kettering make the first change of the day as Liam Canavan is replaced by Gary Mulligan on 76 minutes. Phillips gets down low to deny Aaron O’Connor as the match enters the final few minutes and the next goal should be the winner.

Both sides going for the win, Kettering almost sneak through but the ball is over-hit and Aaron O’Connor can’t quite get the final touch. Into stoppage time, still deadlocked at 3-3 but certainly not for the want of trying by both teams. James Hall is replaced by Jorrin Jon who immediately tries to play in Aaron O’Connor but again its slightly over-hit and runs through to From keeper Phillips.

Possibly the final chance for Kettering as they win a corner. It’s swung in by Brighton but no blue shirt can get a touch and it’s scrambled clear. There goes the final whistle and it ends all-square at 3-3. Not one for the defensive purists but certainly entertaining from a goal-scoring perspective. A good comeback from Kettering after concerning the first goal within seconds and almost snatched the win at the end, but had to settle for a point.

Att: 222

Kettering Town: White, Bateman, Langdom, J.O’Connor, Brighton, Hicks, A.O’Connor, Howe, Hall, Kelly, Canavan. Subs: Gooch, Mulligan, John.

Frome Town: Phillips, Miller, Gregan, Walker, Green, Miller, Knight, D.Jeffries, Jackson, Bath, Fitzgibbon. Subs: Davies, Cleverley, Golledge, J.Jeffries.