Beckles earns struggling Poppies a draw at Bedford Town

Aug 27th, 2012

Kettering TownBedford Town

Bedford Town 1
Beasant 60

Kettering Town 1
Beckles 63

Kettering Town have struggled in their opening three fixtures to find a consistent level despite playing well for periods in each match. However the lack of clinical finishing coupled with lapses in concentration have combined to produce just two points out of nine from the three games so far. Kettering Travel to nearby Bedford Town on Bank Holiday Monday for an afternoon kick-off still looking for that quality in the final third that will bring them the ‘missing’ goals.

A fairly lively start from Kettering at the Eyrie but for all their early pressure they haven’t been able to convert it into solid goal opportunities and the home side has worked their way back into the game. Byerley had Ketterings only real chance but failed to find the back of the net. Bedford have produced a couple of good chances from Beasant but as we head into the half-time break it’s still goal less and more evenly balanced.

Half-time:   Bedford Town 0   Kettering Town 0

Goal!GOAL: The second-half gets underway with Jaimie Griffiths replacing Warren Byerley for Kettering. The home side counters quickly and Kettering are caught completely flat at the back as Bills plays in Nick Beasant and he fires past the exposed Walker in the Poppies goal to give Bedford the lead on the hour mark. Jaimie Griffiths and Michael King come on for Kettering as manager John Beck makes his changes.

Goal!GOAL: Kettering try to get back into the match quickly and press forward in numbers. The home keeper not looking comfortable as the ball is played into the area and Omar Beckles squeezes his shot under the diving body of keeper Ian Brown and Kettering are back on level terms just three minutes after they fell behind.

Kettering press again and Ed Palmer has two bites at the cherry but cannot force the ball home past keeper Brown. Walker makes a good save from a free-kick after Beckles brings down Beasant just outside the area. Glazio looking lively for Kettering up front as the match tempo has picked up since half-time. Glazio races in on goal again but under pressure he pulls his shot just wide of the target.

Libertucci replaces Price for Bedford. Walker makes a superb save to push the ball over the bar as it was heading for the top corner and Kettering win a free-kick as Walker is impeded when the corner is played in. Heading into the final fifteen minutes with either side capable of winning this one as chances are opening up at both ends of the pitch. Simpson replaces Fuller for Bedford. Brown has to be quick to deny Bonnet-Johnson as Kettering continue to press the home goal. Ryan Hervel replaces Will Glazio for Kettering as the rain comes down at the Eyrie.

The match is getting a little scrappy now as we head into the final few minutes still deadlocked at 1-1. Close call for Kettering as a scramble from a corner was finally cleared. King makes an interception to put the ball behind for a corner and Beckles heads the corner clear. A frantic last few minutes as the match headed into time added on with a last gasp chance for Kettering from a corner but Bedford manage to clear the danger.

The final whistle sounds and Kettering again fail to win a match at the fourth attempt although it could have been worse when they fell behind but at least managed to quickly get back on level terms to secure a point. Three draws and a loss from their first four matches is more like relegation pace than any hope of challenging for promotion which is quickly fading into the distance. I’m not sure what John Beck needs to do to make the breakthrough but it needs to come fairly quickly to kick-start Kettering’s season into (at least) second-gear.

Att: 538

Kettering Town:

Bedford Town: